At Your Side Throughout Your Divorce Process

We Can Help You Make The Move

Circumstances in life, like a new job, may require you to move. However, that is not always an easy process if you are separated from the other parent. To move away with your child(ren), you may need approval from the court in the form of a move-away order, and The Law Office of Robert Goldsmith can help guide you through this process.

If you have sole physical custody, you can move with the child(ren) unless the other parent is able to prove the move would harm the child(ren). In a joint physical custody situation, if one parent does not want the child(ren) to move, the parent who is requesting the move needs to show why it is in the best interest of the child(ren). Our firm can help you understand how the laws apply to your unique situation.

What Goes Into The Decision-Making?

If you are the custodial parent and are trying to move, the noncustodial parent is still able to oppose the move. The noncustodial parent will have to prove why the move is not in the best interest of the child(ren). When a court is considering a move-away request, it will look at several factors, including:

  • Distance of the move
  • Age of the child(ren)
  • Relationship of the child(ren) with both parents
  • The wishes of the child(ren) if mature enough to make this decision

A judge will also look at the relationship you have with the other parent, including your ability to cooperate and communicate in an effective manner. We will work with you to try to work out an agreement in a mediation appointment to avoid the necessity of a court hearing.

Learn More At A Consultation

Move-away cases can be complicated and can put your plans on hold. We will guide you through the process from the very beginning when you file a Request for Order. To learn more about how our experience can help you, call 949-783-9709 or email The Law Office of Robert Goldsmith to schedule a consultation.